The Hamilton Building also known as The Flatiron Building of Bellingham was the first "skyscraper" in Bellingham. Built in 1908 for Talifero Simpson Hamilton's growing Bellingham Bay (B.B.) Furniture Company, the building cost $100,000 and used thirty-five thousand barrels of cement along with 200,000 pounds of steel. Due to its triangular shape and resemblance to the Fuller Building in New York, the building instantly garnered the flatiron nickname.
On the evening of April 28, 1924, a large fire broke out on the top floor and vented through the roof. However, due to the buildings design of concrete and reinforced steel, the structure remained intact. Since ninety percent of the damage was covered by insurance, reconstruction of the building began shortly afterwards. As a precaution to future fire, a sprinkler system with a rooftop tank was installed. When the building reopened, it had become seven stories tall without adding to its overall height.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 27, 1983
For additional information visit The Bellingham Business Journal.